A warning to dog walkers about dangers of Rapeseed Fields

Posted on

It’s that time of year again where farmers fields have blossomed into pretty yellow flowers, these plants are called rapeseed. A large number of walking trails in Northern Ireland do pass these fields and although it may be tempting to place your dog in the mist to take a scenic photo, please avoid this at all costs!

Rapeseed is extremely poisonous for dogs, especially in highly sensitive canines.

Rapeseed is listed by Dogs Trust as toxic to dogs if ingested and can cause symptoms such as:

  • Haemolytic Anaemia
  • Blindness
  • Damaged Nervous System
  • Digestive Disorders
  • Breathing Problems

Even walking through these fields should be avoided! In June 2019, a dog has been reported to suffer from severe open wounds after running through a crop of rapeseed.

Please seek immediate veterinary attention if your dog shows any signs of rapeseed poisoning!

Recent News