Clare Glen can be described as a delightful walk along the banks of the River Cusher in County Armagh. Many of the trees in the wood are multistemmed and the wood may have been managed by coppicing in the past. Hazel is abundant, with oak, ash and wych elm over a stunning ground layer of wood anemone, wild garlic and bluebells, and several different species of orchid (when in season).
Distance 1.1 miles
OS Map 20
Terrain flat, gravel path
Nearest Town Tandragee
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference J022445
Route Type Forest, Riverside, Woodland
There are a number of colour coded waymarked trails within Clare Glen so you can either follow one of these trails or mix and match them.
The Glen View Trail (linear, 1.1 miles) is on the eastern side of the Cusher River and gives a birds eye view of the unique landscape of the glen. It can be linked with either the River Trail or the Bluebell Trail to form a circular route that is 2.2 miles in length. Care is needed due to steep sections and it is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
The River Trail (linear, 1.1 miles) is on the western side of the river, and can be described as a pleasant amble along the rivers edge. Its low gradients are suitable for all levels of fitness including wheelchair and pushchair users.
The Bluebell Trail (linear, 1 mile), provides an ideal opportunity to view the steep sides of the glen along with its associated flora and fauna. Care is needed due to steep sections and it is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
River Cusher, beautiful woodland
From Tandragee, take the Markethill Road and proceed for 1 mile (1.6km). Clare Glen is situated on the left.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Dogs must be kept under control
Toilet facilities at the caravan park. Other facilities in the town of Tandragee.
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6°.
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.