Mount Stewart – Red Squirrel Trail
The trail takes in the path around the lake, formal and informal gardens including Rhododendron Hill as an alternative route.
Distance 1.1 miles
OS Map 15
Terrain Surfaced pathways and lawn
Nearest Town Newtownards
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference J556694
Route Type Woodland
Start at Mount Stewart reception and make your way to the front of the house via the courtyard. Make your way through the gate into the formal gardens, pass the Sunk Garden and use the stone steps to make your way down into the Italian Garden. Walk straight ahead towards the black and gold metal gate which brings you into the Lily Wood.
Make your way through the Lily Wood until you reach the path, follow the path towards the lake. Follow the path around the lake. Make your way towards Tir N’an Òg, the family’s burial ground high up on the hill.
Continue around the path until you reach Broadley’s woodland. Continue on the path around the lake towards Mount Stewart house or take an alternative route through Rhododendron Hill.
Finish your walk by returning to the front of Mount Stewart house.
Sunk Garden, Lily Wood, Tir Na nÒg, Lake
15 miles SE of Belfast on Newtownards-Portaferry Road, A20 5 miles SE of Newtownards.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Dogs must be kept on leads
Toilets located in the reception area, courtyard, and car park. Gift shop, wi-fi, ice cream shop, tea room, garden shop and baby-changing facilities available.
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6°.
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.